Prices range from $200-250, depending on coloring and markings (uniquely colored or marked hedgehogs will be closer to or at $250, standard colors and markings will be at $200). Please remember to anticipate the 6.6% sales tax as well.
What this price includes:
-Full genetic health guarantee
-24/7 "tech support"
-Free nail trimmings for life
-Birth certificate (upon request)
-Pedigree (only available to breeders)
-Digital care guide (please see "Hedgehog Care")
-10% client discounts from the Storybook Etsy store (please ask for the coupon code)
How to reserve a hoglet:
In order to reserve a hoglet, you must first fill out our questionnaire.
WE CANNOT ADD YOU TO THE WAITING LIST IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONNAIRE.
Leaving blank or vague answers does not count as filling out the questionnaire, because it prevents me from helping you learn and prepare, as I have no way to know what you've already researched, and it also indicates a lack of commitment to providing the best care possible to your potential hedgehog. All of the answers can be found on this website on our care page or on our FAQ page! We use our questionnaire to ensure prospective pet-parents have done their research and we cannot send home a hedgehog unless we know it is going to a safe environment. If you have questions or would like clarifications, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I can help you.
Once you have filled out your questionnaire, we will go over your application and notify you when it's been accepted. At that point, you have two options. You may pay your deposit early and be placed on the priority list, or wait to place your deposit and be placed on the general waiting list. Storybook Hedgehogs maintains first pick of any litter, before the litters are made available to the public for reservation. The priority list is offered babies first, in the order of who placed their deposits earliest. After the priority list has had the chance to select, the general waiting list will be emailed simultaneously, and the babies can be reserved by anyone in the pool at that time. Please be aware that the general list does not often get the chance to select, as we usually have several people on the priority list. If you do not see a baby that you feel would fit your home, you have the option to stay on the waiting list for first pick of the next litter. If you confirm your selection however, cancellation of that selection will put your name back on the list as if we had just received your deposit. Please be aware that it takes time for us to communicate with each person, so if you change your mind, we need to know as early as possible so that there is enough time for someone else to properly prepare!
- If for any reason, you are unable to keep your hedgehog, we do require that we are notified immediately and the hedgehog is returned to us. We like to know where all of our babies end up, and take it upon ourselves to make sure they end up in safe, educated homes. This IS part of the legal agreement you must sign before a baby is taken home, and breach of this contract will result in legal action.
- Deposits are non-refundable.
- We require photo ID with proof of address (preferably a driver's license) upon pick up of the hedgehog.
- We accept cash and PayPal, but no checks or cards.
- We do not sell hedgehogs to residents of states or cities where they are illegal.
- We do ship through a pet courier, but only when the weather is fair. Shipping is a flat rate of $300, not including the price of the hedgehog. This includes a travel-safe kennel, modifications required by the airlines, handwarmers and handwarmer covers, a detachable food dish for the front of the kennel, insulating bedding for the kennel, travel time and gas for driving to and from the airport, and the flight cost itself. We are happy to recommend quality breeders closer to you if that is an option, so feel free to ask for a referral!
- We do not sell male and female hedgehogs to the same home. If a home already owns a hedgehog, they may only purchase a hedgehog of the same gender. Dishonesty regarding this will result in refusal of service and a forfeited deposit.
- We do not sell to pet stores or brokers.
- We do not sell hedgehogs to individuals under the age of 18. If the hedgehog is meant for a younger family member, the parents must still assume legal and financial responsibility for the care and upkeep of the hedgehog. Children can and do quickly lose interest in new pets-- if a hedgehog is not a pet you would like for yourself, please don't get one for your child.
- We do require that a safe environment is prepared for the hedgehog prior to bringing the hedgehog home. If you would like help knowing where to start, please visit our links page and check out the supplies checklist.
- We reserve the right to choose not to sell to anyone, at any time, for any reason.
- We require photos of the intended cage set-up at least 2 days PRIOR to bringing your hedgehog home, so that corrections (if necessary) can be made in time. Refusal to provide photos or to make necessary changes can result in losing your deposit and refusal of service.
- If a hedgehog is selected and the new owner fails to show up to the pick up appointment they booked, or gives less than 24 hours cancellation notice, there is a $25 cancellation fee, as well as $5 boarding charges (daily charge for each day past the agreed upon pick up date that the hedgehog remains in our care). If this occurs on more than one occasion, your non-refundable deposit will be considered payment of the cancellation fees and you will no longer have the option to select a hedgehog from us in the future. We simply do not have the time or space to hold hedgehogs indefinitely, and since we are a small home-based breeder, we have to schedule around family and home life.
- If we attempt to contact you through the email you provide us and we do not get a response after our third attempt to contact, then we will take your name off of the waiting list until we are contacted by you. If there is no contact before the end of our fiscal year (December 31st of the same year the deposit was placed), then you lose your deposit. Please respond to emails in a timely manner so we can avoid situations like that!
Storybook Hedgehogs guarantees our hedgehogs against WHS for life. We also offer a full genetic health guarantee against solely hereditary diseases. A full refund or replacement will be offered upon receiving a copy of diagnoses through necropsy performed by a licensed and qualified (meaning hedgehog experienced) veterinarian. The health guarantee does not extend to cover injuries, illness related to care, treatable diseases left unchecked, diseases or disorders related to old age, or any form of neglect or abuse. Veterinary costs are the responsibility of the owner.
If for any reason, a hedgehog cannot be kept, the hedgehog MUST be returned to us-- selling or giving the hedgehog away to an unapproved third party is not an option. We take our commitment to the safety of our animals VERY seriously, which is why we put the return clause into our legal contract. Refund rates are as follows:
0-30 days - 50% refund
30+ days - None
These refunds do not include the non-refundable $75 deposit. We do not offer any refund for animals that are returned to us showing signs of neglect or abuse.
If you're wondering why we don't offer full refunds, please consider the following-- when we sell a hedgehog, we spend hours communicating and educating future owners, answering questions, socializing your hedgehog baby, providing the best food and vet care for that baby and its parents, and if we met you anywhere away from our home, transportation as well. When you return your baby, we have to do this all over again, and usually for a reduced adoption fee, since the hedgehog is older. We also have the added cost of taking that hedgehog in for a wellness visit to our vet, to ensure that they are in full health and okay to be re-adopted. As a small, family operated, home business, we would not be able to continue raising hedgehogs if we did things differently, so thank you for understanding!